With the colder temperatures now here, we are starting to see the burning issues again with the shore power plugs. With the use of heaters in the boat, the extra draw of electricity through shore power is higher, which seems to be a catalyst in the plugs burning. There are many Internet forums that discuss this issue as it it a growing concern within the industry – especially when it is unsafe and leads to a fire.
We were recently doing an annual engine service on a boat, when we smelt the ‘burning electrical – plastic’ smell, and realized it was the shore power plug – luckily we were there to unplug it, and prevented that potential boat fire!
We have research alternatives, and the SmartPlug system appears to be the best option. They state they have solved the overheating issue with a system that:
- provides 27X more electrical contact
- maximizes electrical transfer
- has a multi-point locking system, and
- has triple weatherproof seals
The Smartplug is easier to use:
- No L-shaped pins – easy to use at night
- Plugs straight in – no twisting required
- no alignment issues
- no cross threading problems
- LED power indicator light – molded cordsets
To help with the reduction of boat fires this winter in our local waters, please contact us for a free inspection of your boat’s shore power!∞